Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Checking for AV software on students machines

From: Antivirus Administrator <avmgr () UTK EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:04:39 -0400

Hi all.

I was informed of this recent discussion and joined this list to provide
you with information about how we are doing things here at The
University of Tennessee.

Here is an overview of registration process.

1. We now truly have a private network. Students are required to
register each semester. The computers only able to access our security,
antivirus, DHCP, and DNS servers. There is currently discussion of
forced re-registration for all computers, possibly more frequently.

2. When a Windows XP/2000 box attempts to register, the user is
forwarded to a page to download an executable which is our "registration
security tool".

3. This tool performs a series of checks on the registering system. It
then applies service packs, hot fixes, McAfee AV & EPO, autoupdate
repair and configuration, local security policies, and anything else we
want the tool to do to the system.
The software is only installed if needed (based on initial checks) to
reduce registration time for properly configured systems.
The tool is web based for efficiency and will only download the software
that is required.

4. ***KICKER*** Only after it has been successfully executed does this
tool update an internal database with all hardware (MAC) addresses that
exist on the machine attempting to register.

5. The tool then guides the user through the registration process.

If a Windows 2000/XP system attempts to register and is not found in the
internal database, the system is always redirected to the security tool
download page.

On another note...

For those of you using the EPO software, the system compliance profiler
is a very useful tool to check for patches and any other registry
settings or file versions. It is my hope to fully implement this with
the new version of the EPO due to be released this year (currently in
beta).

Hope this is the info everyone needed.

--
I. W. Woodle (Wes)