Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: URGENT: bot net with keylogger

From: Doug Pearson <dodpears () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:24:41 -0500

We can confirm the TCP port 8040. We have unconfirmed information from a third party:

- The file that carries the virus is C:\windows\system32\mssmgrd.exe which is a hidden file 70KB in size

- First it attempts to resolve et.bestexploiters.com

- Next it contacts each of the hosts that resolve to this on TCP port 8040 from TCP port 1219

- Each host that replies does so on TCP 8040 back to TCP 1219

- It then tries to contact all hosts on the local workgroup/domain and enumerate shares (it may do an ARP discover
prior; difficult to derive from one capture)

- Next it attempts to connect to the hosts that replied to LANMAN requests via IPC shares (and probably others)

- Throughout, UDP port 69 remains open on the infected host for TFTP

Other advice is to aggressively track down compromised hosts and assume that any account/password, credit card, or
other information that has been keyed into a compromised host is now in the hands of miscreants.

Doug Pearson
Director, REN-ISAC
http://www.ren-isac.net
+1-812-855-3846