Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checking for AV software on students' machines

From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 () EMAIL UNC EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:15:27 -0400

Ariel Silverstone wrote:
We are doing it at Temple.  Firstly, we mandate our AV via policy, then when
connects occur, they must go to a webpage that initiates a test.  The test
is a combination of ActiveX and ports open.

Thank you,

Ariel Silverstone, CISSP
Chief Information Security Officer
Temple University

What does the test check for?
What happens if they fail the test?
What happens if they pass the test?
If they've passed the test once, do they have to test again?
What about OSX, Linux, etc.?
What if they come in and are already hacked/trojaned -- can they still
attack each other?

Thanks,
Jeff

--