Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

hacking into a registrar's system

From: Scott Bradner <sob () HARVARD EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:03:43 -0400

I just got a call from ABC news who wanted to know if I knew
of any cases where someone hacked into a registrar's system to
insert a record to indicate that somone went to the school sometime
in the past (resume padding)

I said that I thought that inserting such a record for sometime
in the past could be quite hard (since it would likely in an
archive section)

I said I could see how someone (at least in theory) could change an
existing grade but more than that would be very had indeed

1/ do you know of any case where someting like thjis happened?
2/ how about cases where someone in the registrar's office
   changing grades (I seem to remember seeing some news stories
   on this type of things)

Scott