Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Reporting Structure

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:00:41 -0600

There was a similar discussion under the subject heading "CISO?" in
January.  Below is some information that I posted at the time that is
relevant to your questions.  In short, most of your questions were part
of the ECAR survey
(http://www.educause.edu/asp/doclib/abstract.asp?ID=ERS0305) conducted
in April 2003 and issued in October 2003.

Rodney Petersen
Security Task Force Coordinator, EDUCAUSE

-The EDUCAUSE Center for Applied Research security report revealed the
following:  22.4% institutions of higher education have a chief IT
security officer or equivalent; 90% of CSO's work at doctoral extensive
or intensive institutions; 95 percent of the IT security officers report
to a senior administrator in the IT office, including 50 percent who
report to the CIO; respondents were asked when their institution created
the IT security officer position and there is a clear, steady pattern of
growth beginning in 1994; Director of Networking had day-to-day
responsibility for security at over 30% of the institutions

-The EDUCAUSE Center for Applied Research is considering a follow-up
study to its recent Security Report or including longitudinal questions
in an upcoming data networking study

-There is a collection of IT Security Officer job descriptions at
http://www.educause.edu/asp/doclib/detail_docs.asp?Detail_ID=6

-In a recent article, "Planning for Improved Security", by Mark Bruhn &
myself published in EDUCAUSE Review (November/December 2003)
(http://www.educause.edu/pub/er/erm03/erm036_articles.asp?id=10), we
describe the importance of strategy and planning to the development of
an information security program.  We also provide examples from three
institutions where in two of those cases the "planning" process resulted
in the establishment of the position of an IT security officer

-The recent book, Computer and Network Security in Higher Education
(http://www.educause.edu/asp/doclib/abstract.asp?ID=PUB7008), contains a
chapter written by Jeff Recor on "Organizing for Improved Security".
The chapter desribes creating a security plan of action, obtaining
support for the plan, establishing security leadership (which describes
the private-sectors movement towards positions of Chief Security
Officer), and an array of security job titles assigned to specific
functions.