Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Help with notice about TCP vulnerability rrequested

From: Melissa Guenther <mguenther () COX NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:13:44 -0700

I didn't get any other replies, had some caffeine and wrote the following. Sending it out to those that might start
considering keeping general users in the loop - in some ways it can be an awareness opportunity and help promote
individual accountability.

A large number of research institutions and high performance computing centers, like (name), have become a target for
some sophisticated ) attacks. An unknown attacker (or group) has compromised numerous multi-user Solaris and Linux
computers on our campus using a variety of mechanisms. In most cases, the attacker gets access to a machine by cracking
or sniffing passwords.

If you believe your computer has been affected by these intrusions, please contact the (insert name and contact
information here). Please include the name or IP address of the affected machine, as well as any compromised userIDs

The attacker appears to be deliberately targeting machines in academic and high performance computing environments,
rather than attacking systems indiscriminately.

It's not always obvious that a machine has been compromised, but they've been discovered at (name) because: ( I put in
what I know - you know more and can probably change this)

You notice that your last login is not consistent with the last time you actually logged in

You notice that performance on a particular computer has severely degraded

Your system administrator makes mention that they notice that you are logging in from unusual locations -- in
particular, a sys admin notices multiple failed logins, sometimes for more than one user ID, coming from another
university or research location

You have unexpected errors generated when a computer reboots.

This is the awareness opportunity

Countermeasures

Note: all of the countermeasures discussed below involve some amount of work and inconvenience for you. As we're
considering how to protect our machines, our research and our co-workers from these aggressive and sophisticated
attackers, please remember that although it's disruptive, the time you spend today in changing passwords, applying
patches, and being impacted by remote access restrictions is far less than the time you'll spend rebuilding your system
if it's compromised!

No single protection mechanism will prevent computer compromises -- but implementing a few of these suggestions will
minimize your chances of being successfully attacked.

Prevention:

 Install all security-relevant patches for your systems.

Be sure you are picking hard-to-crack passwords. Insert the URL for checking passwords here

Use different passwords on all your accounts.

Check with a support person (seems every campus calls them something different) to see whether an authentication
application ( like SSH with RSA keys or Kerberos) is advisable for you. [Note: these mechanisms will not prevent an
account from being compromised, but they may make it harder for an attacker to access unprivileged user accounts.]

Limit remote access to unpatched multi-user systems, using host-based firewalls, or other mechanisms. This is a
potentially management-intensive process, especially for machines with a lot of remote users -- but even relatively
permissive rules ( allow connections from domainname.com; deny all else) provide some protection.