Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Information Classification - Benchmark/Wisdom needed

From: Brian Reilly <reillyb () GEORGETOWN EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 17:29:33 -0500

Jim,

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Jim Moore wrote:

[snip]

Our admissions/financial aid organization, which deals with a large
intake of paper documents, and mails a lot of information (e.g.
acceptance, and award letters) basically said that we would be adding a
huge burden to them.  So the request was to benchmark information
classification as it related to admissions/financial aid.

1) Does anyone require classification, and marking of the paper documents?

Our information security policy covers information in any format --
electronic, tape, paper, etc.

2) Anything that you learned in tuning the process?

Create a default classification.  It'll make your life and the lives of
those that create/handle a lot of information much easier.  For us, if a
record or piece of information doesn't fall into the description of
"confidential" (e.g. student records, HR records, donor records, etc.) or
"unrestricted" (e.g. public information) it's automatically classified as
"internal-use-only."  We still recommend that people explicitly mark their
documents, but this way the information is still placed into one of these
categories even if they don't.

--Brian