Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Proxy Servers

From: Larry Rogers <lrr () SEI CMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:57:29 -0500

Folks:

In our Concepts and Trends class
(http://www.sei.cmu.edu/products/courses/cert/concepts-trends-infosecurity.html)
 I teach the concept of having a proxy server for Internet access even if that
proxy server presently has no "deny" policy. I teach that architecting such a
server gives the opportunity to put in a policy to address attacks and
vulnerabilities more quickly than may otherwise be possible.

Are there any of you out there doing this kind of thing?

If you are, how's it going?

If you aren't, could you {technically, politically}?

If you tried this but abandoned the attempt, why did it fail?

Thanks! I'm just curious to know if what I think makes intuitive sense
actually works in an educational setting.

                                        Larry Rogers
                                        Senior Member, Technical Staff
                                        CERT* Education and Training Center
                                        Software Engineering Institute
                                        Carnegie Mellon University
                                        4500 Fifth Avenue
                                        Pittsburgh, PA 15213
                                        lrr () cert org
                                        lrr () sei cmu edu
                                        Phone: 412-268-8042 (Direct)
                                               412-268-7700 (SEI)
                                        FAX:   412-268-7966

* Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office