Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: single sign-on strategies

From: Herrera Reyna Omar <omar_herrera () BANXICO ORG MX>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:07:19 -0600

I have not installed single-sign-on solutions myself, but I've seen
these solutions implemented in some organizations around here (not
universities though).

There is one comment I would like to make regarding the architecture of
single-sign on solutions. I've seen two approaches:
1) Agent based solutions that provide access to applications and systems
2) Centralized interface solutions that are kind of a remote GUI for the
user while the centralized system actually logs to the
application/system itself for you (or has the application locally
installed).

Approach 1) would require a centralized server to do authentication and
maintain credentials only (once authenticated, each client might access
the system directly); however, you might need to develop agents for some
applications and systems. Also, deploying and maintaining agents could
be costly and time consuming, but if one of them gets down the rest of
the applications/systems will be up most probably.

Approach 2) Requires one big (or several) central servers that actually
process data and interact with the application (this mean more resources
are needed and the likelihood of one of these servers going down is
higher than the central authentication server failing in approach 1)),
however, interaction with clients is faster (since it is only an
interface). Also, with this approach it is easier to incorporate host
based applications that were not designed to be accessed remotely
through single-sign-on.

If you are going to develop your own system, approach 1) is definitely
easier and faster to develop; approach 2) is much more complicated since
you would require to develop a huge application (something like Citrix),
however, on the long term, I see more advantages in approach 2) (remote
access for campus applications, for example) and it is easier to
maintain once you have it deployed and configured (at least this is what
I've seen).

Hopefully this will help.

Regards,
Omar Herrera