Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Handling infection notifications sent to forged addresses

From: Jere Retzer <retzerj () OHSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:06:06 -0800

Professor George Davida <davida () csd uwm edu> 02/05/04 08:49AM >>>
Dear Joe
That was timely indeed.
You bring up a very interesting issue: how does one
respond to attacks without inflicting additional harm
either to freedoms or services?

How about coming up with a trust framework? If we knew for certain the
origin of an e-mail then we should be able to afford it a higher level
of trust than one that could be forged. Current technologies do not
support this idea all that well but it is theoretically very possible.
Once available, mail clients could be tailored accordingly with
"untrusted" sources increasingly ignored. The result should in theory be
a gradual migration to the trust framework.

Would you consider this approach as impinging on your freedom? What is
the down side? Thanks