Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mydoom.B in Higher Ed

From: James Morris <jmorris () CAC WASHINGTON EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:04:10 -0800

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Marty Hoag wrote:

    Have the rest of you been getting hit with mydoom.b?
We have the latest signatures from McAfee on our e-mail
anti-virus scanners. We are still seeing thousands of
mydoom getting dropped but no mydoom-b. I wondered if
McAfee or mailscan (I'm not really familiar with all
the pieces) is just reporting both as mydoom or if our
domains are being ignored for some reason (that would
be ok too ;-).

Here at the University of Washington we've seen 1.4 million copies of
MyDoom-A but not a single copy of MyDoom-B.  We're using PureMessage from
ActiveState using the Sophos anti-virus engine.

-James
---
James Morris
Systems Engineer, Computing & Communications
University of Washington