Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IM Security?? - Anyone written policies, selected products, got some lessons learned / war stories

From: Matthew Keller <kellermg () POTSDAM EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:43:52 -0500

We are currently exploring the use of an in-house Jabber server
(http://www.jabber.org/ for general Jabber information, or
http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/2/ for the server itself) for use by
students/staff/faculty. Jabberd is an OpenSource Jabber server, and the
Jabber protocols themselves are open standards. Jabber servers can also
be installed with gateways so you could allow users on you Jabber
servers to still talk to AOL/MSN/Yahoo/etc. users through your
environment, if you wanted to turn off general IM access.

Please note that we have _no_ plans to turn off general IM access and
are looking at ways of allowing our community members to build their own
groups and communicate securely with other in the community without
going to outside services.