Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Business (Mission) Continuity Planning in Higher Education

From: Clyde Hoadley <hoadleyc () MSCD EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:42:42 -0700

I found the Michigan State University Disaster Recovery Planning
site to be very helpful (http://drp.msu.edu/index.htm).  They
also run conferences and other training programs from time
to time.  (I haven't had the opportunity to attend any of
them).

--
Clyde Hoadley
Security & Disaster Recovery Coordinator

Marty Hoag wrote:

   This may seem a bit out of our normal topic set but
business continuity planning is usually part of security
(e.g. see ISO 1-7799 or CISSP Common Body of Knowledge).
I've been assigned responsibility for business continuity
planning and disaster recovery within our department (the
central IT organization on campus). I'd like to get involved
with others in this area and my boss suggested I try to find
a group and/or conference specifically focused on BCP in
Higher Education.

   If you know of national conferences, seminars, or
workshops in BCP specifically oriented towards Higher
Education please let me know. I know NACUBO (higher ed.
business officers) has online BCP resources on their web
site but I don't know if they have more activities in
the field or not.

   I also think there are at least two organizations which
have semi-annual national BCP conferences (Disaster Recovery
Journal Spring World / Fall World and CPM East / West).
Perhaps you've found one of these or other "generic" BCP
conferences to be a good fit for folks in higher education?

   Thank you!

   Marty Hoag
   IT Risk Management Group Leader
   Information Technology Services