Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Nachi down

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 00:09:07 -0500

REN-ISAC wrote:

Starting the year on a good note for network security...

Supposed to deactivate itself beginning Jan 1, 2004, Nachi appears to
be doing just that. The infection will wind down as machines are
rebooted - Nachi checks the date only on start-up. Aggregate ICMP
echo request stats for Abilene can be seen at:
http://stryper.uits.iu.edu/icmp/aggregate-hist.cgi?name=icmp-echo-request

I hope you're right, but we've shutdown a half-dozen resnet machines
already due to what looks like Nachi to us (returning students).

Jeff