Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: scanning on port 901

From: Steve Worona <sworona () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:21:58 -0500

Being discussed on unisog; see below.
Steve
-----
At 2:10 PM -0500 2/25/04, Craig Blaha wrote:
Anyone else seeing this:

scanning of hosts on port 901.  I've seen over 100,000 attempts in 1
hour....

Thanks,
Craig Blaha
--

  *Craig Blaha*
  /Associate Director

-----
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:29:25 -0500
From: Hasan Khalil <Hasan.Khalil () uconn edu>
To: unisog () sans org
Subject: Re: [unisog] Virus?

I've seen numerous instances of the exact same thing (winampa.exe, port 901 scans) here on UConn's ResNet.

Hasan Khalil
ResNet Security
University of Connecticut

Goverts IV, Paul wrote:
This may or may not be related - this morning I found a (hidden) file
named winampa.exe under c:\windows\system32 on an XP Home PC.  Using the
2/24 defs, Symantec Antivirus is unable to identify it as anything.  It
is a 32.5k file, which appears to have been port-scanning machines on
Port 901 (Samba Swat) - has anyone seen this before?  We were able to
successfully shut down the service and removed the file.

Paul Goverts IV
Computer Services
St. John Fisher College
Rochester, NY 14618