Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

The Impact of SPAM on your institution

From: Tim Lane <tlane () SCU EDU AU>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:11:00 +1100

Hi All,

I am interested in understanding the impact of SPAM on other institutions
(ours is growing to be a major problem despite some technical controls in
place).  Specifically, if anyone was able to answer the following questions
that would be very apprecaited:  (if anyone want a summary please email me):

1) Is SPAM a non problem, minor problem or major problem in your
institution? (perhaps incidcate % of spam received of total email)

2) Is or has your institution actively addressing SPAM in a way that has or
will substantialy reduce the impact of SPAM?

3) What type of controls (both technical and human) are being used?

Thanks I would really appreciate any feedback on this.

Tim Lane

Tim Lane
Information Security Program Manager

Information Technology and Telecommunication Services
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480

Ph:  61 2 6620 3290
Fax: 61 2 6620 3033