Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Signing AUP

From: Tracy Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:06:31 -0400

Hi Mellisa,

We tie our acceptable use policy, called Responsible Use of Electronic
Communications, http://www.univco.cornell.edu/policy/RU.html to our Code of
Conduct.  For more information about that connection, please
see:  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/computer/responsible-use/.  I like that
approach because of the message that it sends: being in a campus community
raises the bar of expectations for students, i.e. they can experience
something of "citizenship" rather than contract, per se, as might be
suggested with signing something (albeit one of "adhesion" because they
essentially do not have bargaining power...except of course not to attend
the institution altogether).

And it implicates everyone, even thought for alleged violations we have
different routing procedures, e.g. a staff member gets noticed to HR,
faculty to the provost and students to the judicial administrator, our
version of the dean of students for discipline.

At the front end, we also have a mandatory informational on-line tutorial,
called Travellers of the Electronic
Highway.  http://www.cit.cornell.edu/training/teh/teh.html  Right now it is
just for all new students (including transfers) and anyone who fails to
take it by a certain date has their netid "frozen" until they do.  We hope
to roll it out to new staff and faculty sometime soon too, especially light
of a host of new policies that are slated to go into effect pretty
soon.   For more information about those matters, please see:
http://www.cit.cornell.edu/oit/policy/drafts/

Best,

Tracy Mitrano
Cornell