Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring traffic/protecting student accessible machines

From: Clyde Hoadley <hoadleyc () MSCD EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:08:34 -0600

At the risk of stating the obvious, is it safe to assume you
have an approved and published Security Policy that authorizes
you to run a packet sniffer and capture packets?  And, are your
students, faculty and staff aware of the policy and have ready
access to it?  Without such an approved and published Security
Policy, you might get yourself into more trouble than the
student!  Running an IDS is one thing; sniffing packets is
very different!

At MSCD we have deployed a standard image of XP into the Labs.
The PC is locked down with Windows Policies and Active Directory.
We also have LANDesk installed to push updates.  Some of the
software is served off of a server and is metered.

--
Clyde Hoadley
Security & Disaster Recovery Coordinator

Ron Parker wrote:
1) We use Etherpeek from Wildpackets for our sniffer. I have a chokepoint
set up where I can capture all traffic between our network and our
internet links. If the traffic is purely internal, we use spanned
monitor ports on our Cisco switches.

We also run Websense in conjunction with our firewall. It provides
filtering and reporting of activity for some protocols but not all. You
may also be able to use RMON to remotely capture packets of interest from
network switches that support RMON.

In my experience with a number of these kinds of cases, your best tool is
a detailed packet capture combined with someone verifying the identify of
the person at the computer being monitored. It is very time consuming to
pursue these cases. That's one reason I've started filtering the hardcore
porn via Websense.

2) We use Deep Freeze in our labs. It isn't a perfect solution but it's
the best we've found so far. We are still looking for something better.
For example, during the recent Blaster worm outbreak, we couldn't just
send out the patch to our lab XP machines via SUS and group policy. Every
change to the machine requires disabling Deep Freeze, rebooting, making
the change and re-enabling Deep Freeze. That is a real time waster with
the hundreds of lab machines we have. I would like to have a way to use
Ghost to blast out new images to the labs under such conditions but we're
still working on that.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College
Voice: (979) 230-3480             FAX: (979) 230-3111