Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question re: inbound executable files

From: Brian Reilly <reillyb () GEORGETOWN EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:38:15 -0500

Connie,

We are considering blocking all of the Microsoft "Level 1"
(http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q262/6/31.asp)
attachment types and a few others though our primary mailservers.  If
others have gone down that road, I'd be interested in any feedback you
might have.

We've been blocking the specific filenames associated with various
email-borne viruses for awhile now, with little to no negative impact.

--Brian