Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [Maybe Spam] Gaobot

From: Pete Hoffswell <Pete.Hoffswell () DAVENPORT EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:53:51 -0500

We are having issues with dcom port 135 stuff, and ping floods.  Could be this worm, could be nachi or something.  As
the network guy, I just look at the protocol.  Not sure of the actual virus signature.

I just keep shutting user ports down oun our network,until our desktop support staff fix it.

Pete Hoffswell                                            616-732-1101 (Grand Rapids, x1101)
University LAN/WAN Coordinator              616-510-1198 (Mobile)
IT Services                                                 pete.hoffswell () davenport edu
Davenport University                                  http://www.davenport.edu

 -=-=-  Check out DU WiFi services - http://www.davenport.edu/du/currentstudents/wifi -=-=-

brwal () CONNCOLL EDU 12/04/03 02:44PM >>>
Is anyone else getting hit with the Gaobot worm? We're having a moderate outbreak on PCs that don't have the latest
Windows updates.

Brian Walsh
Information Security Officer
Connecticut College