Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New SANS Discount Programs to Educational Centers

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:15:29 -0500

S/MIME and PGP/MIME Based Message Signing has always been a "no-no" on
ANY listserv I've ever been on for this very reason.  You will notice
that most users post with an inline PGP/GnuPG signature (like I've
done here) ... IF and when they desire verification.  Even vendors
use
this inline method when posting security patch notices to their own
lists.  Just about every list adds disclaimer text or taglines to
messages posted to them.  Given these common alterations, you may
want to re-think your MIME based message signing to something more
universal and forgiving, such as PGP/GnuPG inline signing.  Thwate
and Verisign MIME signatures are great, but not for signing list
messages.

Just my 1/2 cent worth.... <g>