Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Firewalls/IPS/IDS

From: "Louella R. Phillips" <louella () UNM EDU>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:07:30 -0700

I would like to know whether any of you are installing Intrusion
Prevention Systems on your campuses?  If so, whose product are you using
and how is it working?  We have been researching the direction that
Firewalls and IDS are taking along with the incorporation
of IPS into networks.  We currently have Netscreen's firewall and
Intrusion.com's IDS but we feel IPS products like Tipping Points might be
the strategic direction. Both Netscreen and Intrusion are telling us they
are incorporating/developing intrusion prevention to their products so the
question we are trying to answer is "Do we stay with our current products
or do we move to a new technology?"

Any info would be appreciated.

Louella Phillips
University of New Mexico

Louella R. Phillips                                   E-Mail:  louella () unm edu
Network Architect                                     Phone:   (505)277-8043
                                                      Fax:     (505)277-8101
University of New Mexico
2701 Campus Blvd. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87131