Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Questions Regarding FTC's Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act

From: "Davis, Thomas R." <tdavis () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:31:05 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Sadler, Connie
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 11:01 AM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: [SECURITY] Questions Regarding FTC's Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act

I have a couple of quick "benchmarking" questions:

1)  Has anyone deployed encrypted e-mail yet to some areas of your
campus that work with "sensitive" information? If so, what are you
using?

Some of our departments are using either S/MIME or PGP.

2)  Do any of you make recommendations on how to "sanitize" hard
drives for PCs and/or MACs that are being "surplused"?

We put together a document that might be of some use:

 http://www.itso.iu.edu/howto/secure-delete.epl

--
Tom Davis, Information Technology Security Officer, CISSP, CISM
Office of the VP for Information Technology, Indiana University