Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Logon Message

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:16:34 -0500

I believe it's prudent to issue the "authorized use only" message
*prior* to prompting for logon/authentication credentials.

Steven R. Smith wrote:

Greetings all!

We are in the process of implementing a logon message that will appear
each time a user logs on to our network.  The message consists of two
parts: Security, which essentially says these resources are for
authorized users, all activity may be monitored, and if you are not
authorized, please leave;  Privacy, which essentially says the systems
you are accessing may contain information that is protected by Federal
and State law, so you must take all precautions to protect it.

Clearly that's paraphrased, and obviously this is not a new idea.  The
complete message has been approved by our Chief Counsel.

I would like this message to be consistent through out the community
(admin, faculty, and students) and to be presented in a consistent
format.  We were leaning toward a pop-up which appears after
authentication, and requires the user to click ok to continue to login.
However, there is some discussion that it should presented to students
through a different venue that will not be a pop-up.

What have other institutions done regarding this matter?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Steve.