Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Automated Patching and Updates?

From: Bruce Purcell <bpurcell () CSUHAYWARD EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:25:08 -0700

Our decision was based on campus contracts and licensing. We could also have
used Zen Works (we have Novell licensing) or purchased others at greater
cost. However, my experience with SMS tells me that it works now (didn't in
older versions very well). The cost of SMS is going to depend on your
Microsoft contract. We bought our copy on our previous license Enterprise
contract and it cost $35 (one server, serving 110 clients), I believe. With
new licensing, we'll have to purchase upgrades though. As we have no money
for upgrades, I'm not even looking at new prices for now though we do have
new contracts with Microsoft.

SMS will push applications and OS patches along with .dat files -- we
haven't tried firewall rules as the campus now licenses ePo and it is a
campus standard. Mcafee is "supposed" to be coming out with a Mac version,
so we won't have to expand except to figure out how to handle them. That
will at least take care of firewall and virus for Macs. For now, we limit
our Macs and continue down the manual route for applications.

So, we are limiting ourselves to two items on one management console.
Finally, we use automatic updating for our Solaris box. Maybe not the best
way to go, but we only have one Solaris box and I can deal with managing it.

We haven't found the one "magic bullet" yet and I think if I wait, I'll
continue spinning my wheels doing nothing. For now, I've been satisfied in
being limited in my software selection, living with budget realities (we
prefer to spend our money in California on silly political things like
recalls!) and having good licensing to keep costs down and solid in my
implementation and management. If that "magic bullet" ever comes along that
serves up patches and applications to all Windows version, Mac and xNix,
I'll look at changing.

Bruce Purcell
Cal State Hayward