Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NT Desktop Patch Management

From: Eoghan Casey <eco () CORPUS-DELICTI COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:16:59 -0400

Tim,

The Microsoft System Management Server (http://www.microsoft.com/smserver/) with SUS Feature Pack claims to cover Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT® 4.0, Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows 2003. I am not aware of any colleges or universities using this approach but that is not to say that there are none. Some institutions are using commercial enterprise systems management tools like LANDesk and MightyView to maintain Windows systems. Microsoft lists some other third-party patch management tools at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/topics/patch/secpatch/Default.asp

Is this what you had in mind or were you looking for something less comprehensive/costly?

Eoghan Casey