Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Windows Automatic Update / non-administrators

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:41:18 -0500

I'm interested in setting up Windows Automatic Update on all our PCs here,
and also having users login as unprivileged users (not power users or
administrative).  The documentation is not real clear on whether this will
actually work:
   * If you choose to install updates when notified, you must be logged on
as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. However,
installation will take place during the scheduled install time regardless
of who is logged on to the computer at that time.
What we want is for the updates to go on automatically, and we'll instruct
our users to shut down every night, so that the reboot finishing the
installation of the patch will occur the next morning.

Does anyone know if these updates can occur if a non-administrator is
logged in?

Kevin Shalla
Associate Director of Information and Technical Services
Office of Admissions and Records
University of Illinois at Chicago