Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: When is a firewall not a firewall?

From: Omar Herrera <omar_herrera () BANXICO ORG MX>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:45:32 -0500

Mh, Antivirus products would also be vulnerable to this sort of "race
condition". There used to be problems with boot sector viruses loading
before the AV and engaging in stealth mode. Things are changing now and
it's been a long time since I last heard of a boot sector virus
infection, but in theory, the vulnerability remains.

Viruses might, for example, replace service executables that are loaded
before AV upon infection, giving them the advantage after a reboot.

Other security controls could be affected as well (access control
smartcards for example?)

Omar Herrera, CISSP

Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey,
Mexico City Campus
Information security topic and laboratory