Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Sobig.f update cycle this afternoon

From: Michelle Mueller <muellerm () MTMARY EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:21:17 -0500

From:  http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sobig_f.shtml

Update on 19:00 UTC

When deadline for the attack was passed, one machine was still
(somewhat) up. However, immediately after the deadline, this machine
(located in the USA) was totally swamped under network traffic.

We've tried connecting to it, just like the virus does. We do this from
three different sensors from three different machines in three different
countries. We haven't been able to connect to it once. If we can't
connect, neither can the viruses.

So the attack failed. Whoa.

We'll keep monitoring until 22:00 UTC. If we're not able to connect
once, we can safely say that the attack was prevented.

Update on 19:50 UTC

Still not a single connection from any of our sensors to any of the
servers.

Marty Hoag wrote:

   I'm sure most of you saw this on UNISOG but Michael
Benedetto and Michael Sofka posted links to items about
the update cycle or "mystery program" load that sobig.f
will apparently do at 1900 UTC today (3:00 p.m. EDT):

The F-secure release is at
http://www.f-secure.com/news/items/news_2003082200.shtml
The news snippet at Incidents is at
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-22
and there is an ISS Alert with IP addresses
http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/alerts/id/151