Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: W32/Nachi.worm

From: Kathie Brinkman <brinkmkb () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:03:44 -0400

Please excuse duplication - I am cross-posting to RESNET-L and Educause
Security lists....

We are preparing for students return on Friday.  We have blocked port 135
at the campus firewall, we have blocked port 135 at the routers.  We are
prepared to block ICMP at the ResNet building routers (if we have
to).  Questions from our network staff are (we have read the virus site
descriptions, but appreciate the infield experience that some of you are
seeing) :

What is the traffic profile of the corrupted machines?
- How much bandwidth are they consuming?
- What is the target of the ICMP echo requests? Local to subnet? Local to
campus network? Internet hosts?
- Are there other high bandwidth ports/protocols besides ICMP?

What measures have you found effective in minimizing the effects of
corrupted machines?
- Router access lists?
- Firewall rules?

Thanks.