Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: W32/Blaster on Abilene

From: SECURITY SECURITY <SECURITY () MAIL MCG EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:26:06 -0400

We set up a test environment in the lab, to include a PC infected with the W32.Blaster worm.  We tried to get the
windowsupdate.com part of the worm to launch by changing the date stamp on the PC to the 16th and rebooting.  We were
unsuccessful to get this to work.  Has anyone been successful in a lab environment on getting this to work?  Thanks

James Van Meter
Manager, Network Security
Medical College of Georgia

mbruhn () INDIANA EDU 8/12/2003 2:42:07 PM >>>
The list of sourcing site that Doug mentions below will include
Abilene-connected campuses as well as those other campuses that are
generating a lot of worm traffic to Abilene-connected campuses.

--
Mark S. Bruhn, CISSP, CISM

Chief IT Security and Policy Officer
Associate Director, Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research --
cacr.iu.edu

Office of the Vice President for Information Technology and CIO
Indiana University
812-855-0326

Incidents involving IU IT resources: it-incident () iu edu
Complaints/kudos about OVPIT/UITS services: itombuds () iu edu