Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DShield and Symantec report MSBlast in wild

From: Phil Rodrigues <Phil.Rodrigues () UCONN EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:46:26 -0400

Hi all,

Two students here (Keith Bessette and Lina Pezzella) have tweaked Nessus
plugin #11808 to more return more accurate info about RPC-DCOM
vulnerabilities, especially when scanning Windows 95/98/ME computers (that
Nessus previously reported as "vulnerable").  It now returns the same
basic info as v1.04 of EEye's tool.  Find it at:

http://hogwash.uits.uconn.edu/msrpc.nasl

We have developed a webpage to help support staff respond to the
Stealther.Trojan compromises, MS Blast infections, and RPC-DCOM
vulnerabilities in our network.  It may be useful to other schools:

http://www.security.uconn.edu/rpc_procedure.html

We have noticed that a large number of our Windows 2000 hosts seems to
have had TCP 135 close when RPC crashed after the worm tried
unsuccessfully to use the Win XP offset to compromise them.  Since these
hosts no longer have TCP 135 open they do not appear as "Vulnerable" to
our scanners, and thus we are passing over them in our sweeps.  However,
the guess is they will be vulnerable after they reboot and therefore are
still at risk of being infected.  Anyone have a solution to this?

Phil

=======================================
Philip A. Rodrigues
Network Analyst, UITS
University of Connecticut

email: phil.rodrigues () uconn edu
phone: 860.486.3743
fax: 860.486.6580
web: http://www.security.uconn.edu

Phil Rodrigues <Phil.Rodrigues () uconn edu>
Sent by: The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
08/11/2003 04:18 PM
Please respond to The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv