Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations On Cabinet Level InfoSec position

From: Dan Updegrove <updegrove () MAIL UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:25:27 -0500

Jim,

It's hard for me to imagine that a President's group would have advocated
another direct report, especially in a domain that most of them would
consider to be (as William F. Buckley said of ocean sailing) "90% boredom
and 10% terror."

IMHO, the appropriate reporting line for ISO is the to CIO -- and the CIO
should be at the cabinet level. I simply cannot imagine that an ISO would
receive from a president the supervision and support needed to be
effective. In practice, such a "cabinet level" ISO would report to a
"deputy to the president," who is also too busy and non-technical to
provide support.

Regards,
Dan Updegrove