Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Honeypots - All dried up by Super-DMCA

From: "H. Morrow Long" <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 07:55:19 -0400

Thanks Pete!  I never even thought that I would have to ask the lawyers for
permission to run a honeypot (as long as the purpose is 'enticement' rather
than 'entrapment', e.g. to trap those who are already committing an offense
rather than encouraging individuals to commit offenses who would not otherwise
be so inclined).  Guess I should go clear a few things with them today...

Morrow

Pete Hoffswell wrote:
honeypots are very very cool.  I would be weary implementing them at this time, however.

Unfortunately, because of the DMCA laws, they may be illegal.

Reference -

Tom Liston, maker of Labrea, has stopped distributing his great software due to Illinois Super-DMCA laws:
http://www.hackbusters.net/

Slashdot, etc, reports that new Michigan laws has made the development of honeyd illegal:
http://slashdot.org/articles/03/04/15/1454218.shtml?tid=153

If anyone gets council clearing them to use labrea or honeyd, I would be very interested.

- Pete

morrow.long () YALE EDU 05/01/03 21:25 PM >>>

Lance Spitzner article on how 'honeypots' can be effective tools
in the information security kit for protecting production nets
(as opposed to just research experiments for collecting data):

        http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1690

Morrow