Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Federal/State standards for data encryption via the WWW

From: Ken Shaurette <Ken.Shaurette () OMNITECHCORP COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:52:51 -0500

The perspective I would entertain is not so much whether there is a State or Federal law actually requiring encryption,
but what case law will determine that the protection of any personally identifiable information on a student or staff
member was inappropriate, protections on any confidential info.  This goes beyond just encryption to other mitigating
the risks of any vulnerabilites that might exist in the application, network, servers, firewalls, etc.... And are not
diligently corrected.

Ken M. Shaurette
CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM
Information Security Solutions Manager