Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Enhanced Cyber Security Measures and Increased Alert Levels

From: Angel L Cruz <cruz () AUSTIN UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:31:37 -0600

Colleagues:

Alert levels have necessarily moved up in the spectrum - presently
orange and moving to red. Infragard's web site describes alert levels
http://www.infragard.net/hs_system.htm and related measures required of
federal agencies.

Many campuses have implemented, or considered implementing additional
physical, personnel, and cyber security measures commensurate with the
escalating alert levels. I would like to know - via this forum or
directly if you wish, what types of measures you have discussed or
planned for orange and red alerts.

*       Does the concept of a "wartime ACL or firewall rule set" make
sense?
*       What might one look like (e.g. open access hosts made to use
external address space; limited ports and services; etc.)?
*       Have you discussed limiting web and network services to the
outside world (moving some internet things to intranet only)?
*       Have you considered late night personnel access and their
physical security at 3 AM?
*       Have you implemented your response plan, or a subset to assure
you have the right people engaged?
*       What else have you brainstormed or contemplated?

I can compile sanitized summary results for posting here, if desired.

Thanks.

Mr. Angel L. Cruz, BS

Director & Information Security Officer

ITS - Information Security Office