Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network Driver's License (was Re: several other threads)

From: Gerald N Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:33:29 -0500

Steve Worona wrote:
Randy --

In what we call "real life", we need no license to read a newspaper or
to mail a letter or to make a phone call.  When you lose your driver's
license, you can still take out a library book or place a phone order
from the Barnes and Noble catalog.  To license basic network access is
to license activities that our society has always considered rights
rather than privileges.  Our solutions must be more granular.

Society has considered transportation a right for the
most part but requires you to demonstrate competency to
do so by vehicle. It also requires a passport when crossing
domains but we won't go there.

Society has considered talking a right but if you want
to do it over the airwaves you generally have to get an
FCC license.

Its the media (and other users of the media) not the
message that is being protected by competency testing.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services

Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.