Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SECURITY Listserv Instructions and ParticipationGuidelines

From: "H. Morrow Long" <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:25:38 -0400

The following appeared in the Network World Fusion Security
Newsletter today and can only reinforce in the mind of the
public that 'Universities are the worst-secured component
of the American economy' which I don't believe is entirely
true (there are plenty of companies of different sizes with
poor IT security as well as many individuals -- such as
a large number of high speed Cable/DSL Internet users).

- H. Morrow Long
  University Information Security Officer
  Yale Univ., ITS, Dir. InfoSec Office

Today's focus: White House's call to universities

By M.E. Kabay

Last time, I started to relay the recent comments of Dick
Clarke, special advisor to the president on cyberspace
security. In his lecture at the Sixth National Colloquium on
Information Systems Security Education, he talked about the
role of academia in security.

Clarke said:

"The national infrastructure protection plan is being written
not by bureaucrats but rather by the people in the private
sector, universities and state and local governments who are
experts in their section of the critical infrastructure. We
have asked higher education to participate in this effort.
First, help us design the research projects. We inherited the
Internet, which does not incorporate security features. We
don't have to accept it as it is; we can rebuild it. We need
secure operating systems; Bill Gates says he will devote the
resources of this enormous corporation to developing a security
operating system. We need redesigned routers. In a billion-node
Internet, do we still want to use TCP/IP? Today's wireless
protocols? So one of the elements of the national plan is a
research agenda.

"The second thing we need from the academic sector is to teach.
We have an entire generation of computer users who, in the
absence of security education, will continue to make their
parents' mistakes. We will have about 450 cybercorps
scholarship recipients next year; we need 10 times that number.
We need evidence that the program is effective. We're looking
forward to approval of the Congress for $19 billion in
increased scholarships."

Finally, Clarke called for a radical improvement in university
computer security:

"The third element is securing the universities' own networks,
which are the major source of hack attacks today - probably
three-quarters of the total number of attacks. The attacks may
not originate there, but most of them jump through them.
Perhaps because of a distorted sense of academic freedom,
universities do not in general apply strong security measures
to their own systems. These enormous networks will continue to
be hosts for attacks by hackers and, perhaps, terrorists. Those
of you teaching security in universities need to champion
security in your own organizations. If the university is a
launching pad for attacks, it may cause hundreds of millions of
dollars of damage to the national economy."

Clarke announced that his office has supported setting up an
association of university presidents and that he thinks that
spending on university security is only 10% of what it should
be. He said, "We need to change universities so that they are
no longer the worst-secured component of the American economy."

* * *

As a university professor, I can affirm that academics are
often among the worst violators of what one would think were
common-sense rules for protecting information. In a number of
institutions, I have seen professors repeatedly leave their
office doors open and their laptop computers logged on without
any kind of protection - sometimes for hours at a time. Honor
code or not, the temptation to students to modify their own
grades (and, as camouflage, the grades of some of their peers)
must be intense.

It's clear that universities, like any other organizations
wishing to be good Internet participants, should implement at
least the following principles for their networks:

* Firewalls should be configured for egress filtering that
  prevents all TCP/IP packets with forged origination addresses
  from leaving the system.

* Firewalls should forbid entry of all packets with forged
  origination addresses within the university's own IP address
  space.

* All SMTP servers should be configured to prevent spam relays
  through those points.

* Some specific individual(s) should be explicitly responsible
  for monitoring appropriate resources (e.g., CERT/CC alerts or
  the ICAT Metabase/Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
  database) and patching critical vulnerabilities as appropriate.

As for monitoring and controlling staff, student and faculty
use of university computers (university property, after all),
discussion groups abound with what seems to me to be denial of
the problems caused by irresponsible use of the Internet.
Preventing or punishing users for trafficking in stolen music
and software, downloading or uploading pornography, or writing
scurrilous postings to Usenet groups using their university-
assigned e-mail identities are perceived by some in the
university community as unacceptable limitations on speech. But
this topic is so vast that I will reserve a detailed
exploration for a possible later series of articles.

To contact M. E. Kabay:

Check out the new "Computer Security Handbook, 4th Edition"
edited by Seymour Bosworth and Michel E. Kabay; Wiley (New
York), ISBN 0-4714-1258-9. Available now at your technical
bookstore or visit Amazon at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471412589/tag=fusion0e

M. E. Kabay, Ph.D., CISSP is Associate Professor of
Information Assurance in the Department of Computer Information
Systems at Norwich University in Northfield, Vt. Mich can be
reached by e-mail at mailto:mkabay () compuserve com  He invites
inquiries about his information security and operations
management courses and consulting services. Visit his Web site
for papers and course materials on information technology,
security and management:
http://www2.norwich.edu/mkabay/index.htm