Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: A washingtonpost.com article from: rpetersen () educause edu

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () CERIAS PURDUE EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:35:13 -0500

I have read other articles on this, and it says the guidelines
comprise a 200 page document, and there is an accompanying program
that does 500 tests to help check the configuration.

I dunno about anyone else, but if I read that those numbers, it
occurs to me that the problem is not that the tips aren't known by
everyone -- it is that they are putting critical government
applications on systems that require 200 pages and 500 tests simply
to come up to a *minimum* level of security.