Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Higher Ed Cybersecurity Draft

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:24:50 -0400

We have prepared a draft report of the higher education contribution to
the National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace.   It is primarily intended
to outline the process we will use for developing a consensus approach
to improving the security of college and university computers and
networks.  However, there are some specific observations and tentative
recommendations that will be further explored and tested through a
series of meetings funded by the National Science Foundation and other
activities of the EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Computer and Network Security Task
Force.

We would like your review and comments on the draft report by Monday,
July 8th.  To review the draft report, please visit
http://www.educause.edu/security/cybersecurity_draft.doc  Please send
comments to Wendy Wigen at wwigen () educause edu.  We will incorporate
comments or suggestions received in the next few days, and the higher
education submission will become an appendix to the National Strategy
being developed under the auspice of the President's Critical
Infrastructure Protection Board.  Of course, there is much work that
remains to improve awareness within our community and identify
appropriate strategies and best practices for improving IT security for
higher education.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Rodney Petersen