BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: The security blame game: Who should be held accountablefor a breach?

From: "Al Mac Wow" <macwheel99 () wowway com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:31:24 -0500

Thanks for all the wonderful info, but this is a bogus article.

Boardrooms and CEOs do NOT rely on IT to provide security.  High levels of
corporate management provide IT with a budget which is often inadequate to
do the job properly, and can take sides with different portions of the
company when there is a difference of opinion between security guidelines
and other corporate goals.

An important job for the corporate leaders is to maximize profits and
minimize costs.  They often look upon accounting and IT as expenses they
would love to get rid of, not seeing the benefits to the company by having
such departments.

I could tell you tons of anecdotes about the difference between the article
and reality, but this stuff is confidential.  The IT workers get paid by the
company to do the job, which often has to be inadequate due to mandates
imposed upon the people who do the security work.

The bottom line is that the top of a company tells the bottom of a company
what to do, not the other way around.  The IT workers do not have whistle
blower protection, nor a legal framework like a certified accountant.
Responsibility for anything going wrong should land with the people who give
the orders, not the people who struggle to obey them.

As an IT worker, I have been given many government forms to figure out how
to fill out, which included identifying who filled them out.  Once upon a
time I got a call from a government official asking me follow-up questions,
which included asking me what my job title was.  Then he said the form needs
to be filled out by the CFO.  I said No Sorry, the CFO gave it to me to fill
out.  He is my boss.  He tells me what to do, not you, and furthermore,
nowhere on the form or its instructions did it say who is to fill it out.
We could have given it to the janitor, and asked him to fill it out, but I
did the best job I could that was asked of me by my boss.  He then asked to
speak to the CFO.  I declined.  I told him that my boss had previously told
me not to forward any calls to him, because he is getting more calls than he
can handle.  I am not going to defy my bosses orders at your request.  You
need to initiate a new call, and specifically ask for him.

Al Mac = Alister William Macintyre.

  _____