BreachExchange mailing list archives

Important Information Regarding Your VUDU Account. (fwd)

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 17:09:47 -0500 (CDT)

Here is the notice letter from VUDU.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "VUDU, Inc." <email () email vudu com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:08:00 -0600
Subject: Important Information Regarding Your VUDU Account.

To view this email as a web page, follow this link:
[..]

VUDU, Inc.
[..]

Dear Brian,

We want to let you know that there was a break-in at the VUDU offices on
March 24, 2013, and a number of items were stolen, including hard drives.

Our investigation thus far indicates that these hard drives contained
customer information, including names, email addresses, postal addresses,
phone numbers, account activity, dates of birth and the last four digits
of some credit card numbers. It's important to note that the drives did
NOT contain full credit card numbers, as we do not store that information.
Additionally, please note if you have never set a password on the VUDU
site and have only logged in through another site, your password was not
on the hard drives.

While the stolen hard drives included VUDU account passwords, those
passwords were encrypted. We believe it would be difficult to break the
password encryption, but we can't rule out that possibility given the
circumstances of this theft. So we think it's best to be proactive and ask
that you be proactive as well.

SECURITY PRECAUTIONS:

If you had a password set on the VUDU site, we have taken the precaution
of expiring and resetting that password. To create a new password, go to
[..]
Click the "Sign In" button at the top of the page. Enter your current
username and current password when prompted, then follow the instructions
to reset your password securely. Also, if you use your expired VUDU
password on any other sites, we strongly recommend that you change it on
those sites as well.

As always, remember that VUDU will never ask you for personal or account
information in an e-mail. Please use caution if you receive any emails or
phone calls from anyone asking for personal information or directing you
to a web site where you are asked to provide personal information.

As an added precaution, we are arranging to have AllClear ID protect your
identity for one year at no cost to you. We have FAQs on our web site
[..]
to answer questions on the incident and to more fully describe how to use
the AllClear ID service. We have reported this incident to law enforcement
and are cooperating fully with their investigation. We want you to know
that we take this matter very seriously, and we apologize for any
inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you,

Prasanna Ganesan
Chief Technology Officer, VUDU

Security & Privacy:
VUDU protects your security and privacy. We will never ask for personal
information (such as passwords or payment card information) in an email
postcard. If you receive such a request, please do not respond to the
email.

See our Privacy Policy:
[..]

VUDU, Inc., 2980 Bowers Ave. Santa Clara, CA, 95051, UNITED STATES
(c) 2013 VUDU, Inc. All rights reserved.