BreachExchange mailing list archives

Authorities seize over 200 fraudulent credit cards

From: Erica Absetz <eabsetz () opensecurityfoundation org>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:21:35 -0500

http://www.kvoa.com/news/authorities-seize-over-200-fraudulent-credit-cards/

TUCSON - If you've ever had your identity and credit stolen or fear
that happening, this story's for you.

It illustrates just how far and wide and fast your stolen information
can travel.

The News 4 Tucson Investigators have brought you stories warning about
this kind of theft which can ruin your life and your credit.

In this case, police nabbed a man who they say was carrying over 200
fraudulent credit cards. And you may be startled to find out where
they got him.

"The criminals may fly through here and when they do we will catch
them and this is kind of what happened here," says John Ivanoff, Chief
of Public Safety with the Tucson Airport Authority.

He explained to us what his officers found right here at TIA: 238
stolen credit cards wrapped in cellophane and placed in the interior
lining of a suitcase.

"You don't normally see 200 credit cards bundled and taped," Ivanoff
says. "Very readily apparent that this criminal activity was rather
extensive."

According to the police report, TSA officers screening checked-in
luggage saw something suspicious about the bag in question. They
searched the bag found the stacks of stolen credit cards then alerted
airport police.

"We made sure that we found the suspect and related to him that we had
some questions about what was in his suitcase."

That bag was traced to a man waiting to board a flight to Phoenix with
a final destination in Chicago.

He was originally charged with over 400 felony counts of theft and
control of a credit card. Those charges were dropped while new
forensic evidence is examined which could result in even more arrests.

We went to the suspect's house to ask him about the case but he was
not home at the time.

In the meantime, this case of credit card theft winds slowly and
carefully through several law enforcement agencies.

"When you are dealing with fraud, when you are dealing with forgery
type cases, they're very, very complex," explains Chief Ivanoff. "They
have lots and lots of tentacles that go in a lot of different
directions."

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
Risk Based Security equips organizations with security intelligence, risk
management services and on-demand security solutions to establish
customized risk-based programs to address information security and
compliance challenges.

Tenable Network Security (http://www.tenable.com/)
Tenable Network Security provides a suite of solutions which unify real-time
vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface
for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and
report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.