BreachExchange mailing list archives

Blizzard Compromise

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:34:02 -0500 (CDT)

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html

Important Security Update

Players and Friends,

Even when you are in the business of fun, not every week ends up being
fun. This week, our security team found an unauthorized and illegal access
into our internal network here at Blizzard. We quickly took steps to close
off this access and began working with law enforcement and security
experts to investigate what happened.

At this time, we.ve found no evidence that financial information such as
credit cards, billing addresses, or real names were compromised. Our
investigation is ongoing, but so far nothing suggests that these pieces of
information have been accessed.

Some data was illegally accessed, including a list of email addresses for
global Battle.net users, outside of China. For players on North American
servers (which generally includes players from North America, Latin
America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia) the answer to the
personal security question, and information relating to Mobile and Dial-In
Authenticators were also accessed. Based on what we currently know, this
information alone is NOT enough for anyone to gain access to Battle.net
accounts.

We also know that cryptographically scrambled versions of Battle.net
passwords (not actual passwords) for players on North American servers
were taken. We use Secure Remote Password protocol (SRP) to protect these
passwords, which is designed to make it extremely difficult to extract the
actual password, and also means that each password would have to be
deciphered individually. As a precaution, however, we recommend that
players on North American servers change their password. Please click this
link to change your password. Moreover, if you have used the same or
similar passwords for other purposes, you may want to consider changing
those passwords as well.

In the coming days, we'll be prompting players on North American servers
to change their secret questions and answers through an automated process.
Additionally, we'll prompt mobile authenticator users to update their
authenticator software. As a reminder, phishing emails will ask you for
password or login information. Blizzard Entertainment emails will never
ask for your password. We deeply regret the inconvenience to all of you
and understand you may have questions. Please find additional information
here.

We take the security of your personal information very seriously, and we
are truly sorry that this has happened.

Sincerely,
Mike Morhaime

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
Risk Based Security equips organizations with security intelligence, risk
management services and on-demand security solutions to establish
customized risk-based programs to address information security and
compliance challenges.

Tenable Network Security (http://www.tenable.com/)
Tenable Network Security provides a suite of solutions which unify real-time
vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface
for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and
report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.