BreachExchange mailing list archives

fringe: Google fixes Checkout bug that leaked customer data

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:11:45 -0600 (CST)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-57360657-245/google-fixes-checkout-bug-that-leaked-customer-data/

Google fixes Checkout bug that leaked customer data
Elinor Mills
by Elinor Mills January 17, 2012 4:12 PM PST

Google has fixed a bug in its Checkout software that exposed customer
phone numbers to merchants in more than two dozen countries that charge a
value-added tax--mostly in Europe and Asia.

"We had a bug in our Google Checkout merchant center and API. This meant
that merchants selling digital goods may have seen buyer phone numbers
which are normally provided only when users buy physical goods," a Google
spokesman said in a statement.

"We fixed the problem in the merchant center and we're rolling out a fix
to the API over the next few days," he said. "We apologize to those
impacted by this issue and appreciate their patience as we work to resolve
it."

[..]