BreachExchange mailing list archives

Social Security Administration, 14,000 per year

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 03:13:42 -0400

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2016498264_socialsecurity14.html

By THOMAS HARGROVE
Scripps Howard News Service

The Social Security Administration has failed to inform tens of
thousands of Americans it accidentally released their names, dates of
birth and Social Security numbers in an electronic database widely
used by U.S. business groups.

The federal agency has kept silent about a potentially harmful
security breach of the personal data of about 14,000 people each year,
ignoring recommended reporting guidelines for such confidentiality
breaches and violating the intent, at least, of the U.S. Privacy Act,
which protects personal information of private citizens.

// Editorial: I love how the intent of the Privacy act has been
updated.

And the article comments on Federal exemption from state law, and
should perhaps inform our judgements on proposed federal law.