BreachExchange mailing list archives

UWM computers hacked; data on 75,000 exposed

From: Edieanne <edieanne1285 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:36:25 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.jsonline.com/newswatch/127459128.html

Aug. 10, 2011 | A computer system at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee was hacked and bugged with malicious
software, potentially exposing the names and Social Security numbers of about 75,000 students, faculty and staff, the
school announced Wednesday.
UWM officials said, however, that investigators have no evidence that data was viewed or stolen, and the school is
sending letters Wednesday to those potentially affected by the security breach. UWM says current and former students
and employees are those primarily affected by the breach.
"Talking to the forensic experts, we don't believe the motive was identity theft," said Tom Luljak, UWM's vice
chancellor for university relations. "We are a research institution with a significant number of projects under way. It
is theorized that this may have been an attempt to look at work being done."

 [...]