BreachExchange mailing list archives

FW: Important Message from Capital One (Epsilon)

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 17:40:25 -0500 (CDT)

From: Capital One [mailto:capitalone () email capitalone com]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 8:35 AM
Subject: Important Message from Capital One

  Capital One(SM)
<http://images. .com/creative/2011/capone/apr/44045/vc1/images/core.gif>

<http://images. .com/creative/2011/capone/apr/44045/vc1/images/spacer.gif>

Dear Capital One Customer,

As we have communicated over the course of the last week, Epsilon-a
marketing vendor that sends e-mails on our behalf-notified us about
unauthorized outside access to files that included Capital One(r) customer
e-mail addresses.

The information obtained was limited to the e-mail address of some
customers. No account information or other information was compromised.
We'll continue to provide updates when we have important new information
to share. And, we'll let you know what impact, if any, these developments
will have on you.

Protecting our customers' information is always a top priority for Capital
One. We're working with Epsilon and law enforcement, and we're thoroughly
investigating this incident to help prevent future ones like it. Epsilon
is also conducting its own comprehensive investigation in cooperation with
the appropriate authorities.

It's always a good idea to ignore any e-mail that requests your
confidential account or login information. And don't forget, if you get an
e-mail you think is suspicious, don't click any of the links. Just send it
to us at abuse () capitalone com. Then delete it.

We apologize for any inconvenience this unfortunate incident has caused
and appreciate your patience. For more information, please visit our Web
site at www.capitalone.com.

Sincerely,
Capital One

<http://images. .com/creative/2011/capone/apr/44045/vc1/images/spacer.gif>

<http://images. .com/creative/2011/capone/apr/44045/vc1/images/spacer.gif>

<http://images. .com/creative/2011/capone/apr/44045/vc1/images/spacer.gif>

<http://images. .com/creative/2011/capone/apr/44045/vc1/images/spacer.gif>

<http://images. .com/creative/2011/capone/apr/44045/vc1/images/spacer.gif>

Important Information from Capital One

To ensure delivery, add capitalone () email capitalone com
<mailto:capitalone () email capitalone com>  to your address book.

This e-mail was sent to xxxxxxxxxx and contains information directly
related to your account with us, other services to which you have
subscribed, and/or any application you may have submitted.

Capital One and its service providers are committed to protecting your
privacy and ask you not to send sensitive account information through
e-mail. If you are not a Capital One customer and believe you received
this message in error, please notify us by responding to this e-mail.

(c)2011 Capital One. Capital One is a federally registered service mark.
All rights reserved. 15000 Capital One Drive, Attn: 12038-0111, Richmond,
Virginia 23238. To contact us by mail, please use the following address:
Capital One, PO Box 30285, Salt Lake City, Utah 84130-0285.

<http://images. .com/creative/2011/capone/apr/44045/vc1/images/spacer.gif>

[URL with tracking mechanism]

The information contained in this communication is intended for the use
of the designated recipients named above. If the reader of this
communication is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that you have received this communication in error, and that any review,
notify The Associated Press immediately by telephone at +1-212-621-1898
and delete this e-mail. Thank you.

[IP_US_DISC]

[possible tracking text string]