BreachExchange mailing list archives

minor breach at Murphy USA

From: Henry Brown <hbrown () knology net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 06:29:14 -0500

Probably not minor for the 42 known "victims"

IMO rather unique response by Murphy USA

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/06/42-swindled-after-buying-gas-suffolk

Police found that the accounts of 42 customers who pumped gas last month
at the Murphy USA gas station in front of the Walmart Supercenter were
hacked. Police are warning store customers to check their statements for
fraudulent activity.

As of Tuesday, city spokeswoman Debbie George said all of the victims
had reported fraudulent withdrawals after using their debit cards and
pin numbers. More victims might be out there, she said.

"We're not sure how the information was obtained," she said.

A gas company representative said Tuesday that a team of employees
visited the Suffolk station at 1204 N. Main St. a day earlier and found
no evidence of tampering at the pumps or their systems.

The pumps are safe, said Jay Staggs, communications director for Murphy USA.

"We didn't find residue of anything being stuck in there," he said. "We
didn't find anything where a pinhole had been drilled.

"We found no reason to believe it originated at Murphy USA," he said.
"We checked our system from top to bottom."