BreachExchange mailing list archives

Tax records stolen

From: Christine Fulgham <christine () opensecurityfoundation org>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:52:13 -0400

http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/view/full_story/10035339/article-Tax-records-stolen?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

 Identity thieves may have stolen hundreds, perhaps thousands, of records
from a former tax preparer, according to a police report.

Latina Harris said someone broke into a residence at 412 Cleveland St. in
Laurinburg, and stole eight filing cabinets full of information left over
from when her mother, Ester Gaino, prepared taxes.

Gaino has been dead for a year, but records going back at least five years
had been kept in the home.  Harris reported the incident Monday, but says
she believes the cabinets were taken sometime last week.  "The biggest thing
was that these social security numbers were taken," she said.  Harris
believes the information was taken by identity thieves seeking to use
personal data for financial gain. Gaino served people in Scotland County and
surrounding areas, including Maxton and Rockingham, according to Harris.

Since filing the report, Harris says her life has been in danger.  "My life
has been threatened," she said. "My house got shot up."  Harris says she
fears for her life and hopes the issue is resolved quickly. The shooting
occurred Wednesday night.  She said she hasn't been thrilled with the police
response. "They're almost handling it like a joke," she said. Capt. Kim
Monroe says her claims are being investigated.  "We take all of our reports
seriously," he said. The shooting was in Maxton and is being handled by
Robeson County authorities.